In order to become a life insurance agent in South Carolina you must, complete an initial application, pass a background check, pay the required fees, and pass an exam.
However in the state of South Carolina you do not have to complete any pre-licensing education course to get your life insurance license, but you will still need to study the required material on your own time in order to pass the exam. Below is a list of requirements to help you get started.
South Carolina Life Insurance License Requirements
- Must be a resident and live in the state of South Carolina
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older
- No Felony Convictions, which include crimes of dishonesty or breach of trust
- Background Check
- Complete an initial application
- Pay the required fees
- Pass an exam
Other Requirements That May Be Helpful
- Good communication skills
- Understanding personal finance
- Series 6 License which would allow you to sell variable products (ex. variable life insurance)
Fees: All Fees Are Nonrefundable
- $45 Exam Fee
- $25 License Fee
- $25 Background Check
South Carolina Life Insurance License Process
- Register with the DOI. First you will need to complete an initial application to the South Carolina Department of Insurance an pay a $25 fee.
- Complete a Background Check. Second you need to complete a background check form the State Law Enforcement Division ( SLED) and pay a $25 fee.
- Study For Exam. Since South Carolina has no pre-licensing requirement you will need to study for the exam on your own time.
- Register For Exam. Next you need to register for the exam when you are ready and pay the necessary exam fee.
- Take Exam. Once you’ve registered take your exam at the required time an pass it with a 70% or better.
- Receive Your License. Once you’ve passed the exam you will be mailed sent a copy of your license.
Contacts And More Information
To learn more on how to get your South Carolina Life Insurance License visit the South Carolina Department of Insurance website here or call them at 803-737-6095 or at 803-737-6193.