In order to become a life insurance agent in DC ( District of Columbia) you must complete a background check with fingerprints, be reliable and trustworthy, pay the required fees, and pass an exam.
The District of Columbia no longer requires you to complete a pre-licensing education course in order to take the required exam. However, you will have to study on your own time in order to pass the exam. To learn more review the list of requirement below to get started.
DC Life Insurance License Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older
- Must be a resident and live in DC ( District of Columbia)
- No Felony Convictions, which include crimes of dishonesty or breach of trust
- Must be competent, reliable, and trustworthy
- Background Check
- Pay the required fees
- Pass an exam
Other Requirements That May Be Helpful
- Good communication skills
- Understanding personal finance
- Series 6 License which would allow you to sell variable products (ex. variable life insurance)
Fees: All Fees Are Nonrefundable
- $75 Exam Fee
- $100 License Fee
DC Life Insurance License Process
- Study For Exam. The first thing you will want to do is get the required study materials for the exam. Since a pre-licensing education course is not required you will have to study on your own time.
- Register. Next you will need to register for the exam, set a time get your fingerprints and background check done, and pay the required fees. These things must be complete before you can sit for the exam.
- Take Exam. Third you need take the exam and pass it with a 70% or higher.
- Apply For Your License. Finally, once you’ve passed the exam you can apply for your licesne and pay the required fees.
Contacts And More Information
To learn more on how to get your DC Life Insurance License visit the DC Departement of Insurance, Securities, and Banking website or contact them at (202) 727-8000.