In order to become a life insurance agent in the state of North Carolina you must pass a background, complete a pre-licensing education course, and pass an exam.
However if you hold a special designation such as a CEBS, CFP, CIC, CLU, LUTCF, FLMI, or a college degree on insurance you may be exempt from taking the pre-licensing education requirements. However, none of these or any other designation will make you exempt from taking the required life insurance exam.
North Carolina Life Insurance License Requirements
- Must be a resident of the state of North Carolina
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Pass 20 hours of pre-licensing education
- Complete a background check
- Pass an exam ( 1 hour 15 minutes to take the exam)
Other Requirements That May Be Helpful
- Good communication skills
- Understanding personal finance
- Series 6 License which would allow you to sell variable products (ex. variable life insurance)
Fees: All Fees Are Nonrefundable
- $51.50 Exam Fee
- $50 License Fee
- $38 Finger Print Fee
North Carolina Life Insurance License Process
- Pre-Licenseing Education. Complete 20 hours of pre-licensing education.
- Background Check. Next you will have to complete a full background check with fingerprints.
- Pass Exam. Take, complete, and pass the exam with a 70% or better.
- Apply for License. Finally apply for the license only 48 to 72 hours after passing the exam.
Contacts And More Information
For more information on how to obtain a North Carolina Life Insurance License you can check out their website here or call them at 1-800-546-5664 if you live in North Carolina or (919) 807-6750 if you live outside of North Carolina.